Saturday 28th March
Identifying difficult moths by genitalia led by Jon Clifton. Burnham-on-Sea Community Infants School, Winchester Road, Burnham-on-Sea, Somerset, TA8 1JD. 10:30 - 16:00. Aimed at existing moth recorders with no experience of identifying moths by genitalia examination. Advanced booking essential: 01929 406009 or email@example.com
The usual itinerary for Jon’s dissection workshops is as follows:
1. Introduction and discussion to ‘why we have to dissect’.
2. Chemicals used and their safety.
3. Dissection of a male macro moth.
4. Making a slide prep from the above.
5. Dissection of a female macro moth.
6. Students turn to do their own dissection. Please bring along specimens.
7. Describing of other techniques.
8. Species that can be determined in situ such as the November moths.
8. Rounding up, questions and answers.