Coleophora laricella case found on larch today, on the University of Bath campus. I seem to be finding new species of Coleophorids at the rate of one a year; only another 60-80 to go, which should keep me busy for a while to come...
Hardly mothing weather today but whilst cutting back a tall, wide and dense hedge of mainly Blackthorn, Bramble and Dog Rose, I disturbed a Red-green Carpet amongst the ground layer of fairly thick Ivy.
Walking along the disused railway between Kilmersdon and Great Elm often turns up something of interest - today the mines of Ectoedemia septembrella (on Hypericum - only the second time I have found this on non-cultivated foodplant) and a Coleophora argentula case on flower-heads of yarrow. Like many grassland sites the interesting vegetation is becoming increasingly swamped in bramble, and I wonder whether these species' days there is numbered.
I decided to run a trap last night before I heard the weather forecast ! In the trap were lots of small flies , mosquitoes , one bumblebee but no moths . However there was one lone Mottled Umber on a nearby window . Happy Mothing in 2018 to everyone .